ARE YOU GETTING READY FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
- Southern Maryland Dietitian can help you get approved for bariatric surgery and be successful after surgery.
- Most insurance plans require 1-6 visits with a Registered Dietitian in order to be approved for bariatric surgery.
- These are usually scheduled once per month.
- Visits will focus on improving your nutrition status, ensuring adequate protein intake, building good habits, establishing an exercise routine, learning about supplements and getting ready for surgery. Education will provided on the pre-op and post-op diet.
HAVE YOU ALREADY HAD A WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
- Visits are not required after surgery, but are available and recommended.
- After surgery, visits focus on addressing any nutrition related symptoms that you may experience (diarrhea, constipation, hair loss, vitamin deficiencies) as well as long-term compliance and progress towards your goals. Visits will most likely include body composition testing. Information can be provided on micro-nutrient testing and other follow-up care.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Southern Maryland Dietitian provides very individualized recommendations to help you meet your goals.
- There are also some standard practices that are usually required before and after surgery.
- Supplements are a part of life with any weight loss surgery.
- Protein supplements are very important with any weight loss surgery.
- After weight loss surgery you should have some nutrition labs done every year.
- I recommend: CBC, Albumin, Pre-albumin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B1 (whole blood), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Copper, Zinc, Serum Iron, Total Iron Binding Capacity, % Saturation, and Ferritin.
- Your doctor can order these through your insurance - please ask for them specifically.
- Labs can also be self-ordered through a discount lab service (not covered by insurance).
- These are the protein shakes that my patients usually like the most, and they are appropriate for most people.