ARE YOU GETTING READY FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
- Southern Maryland Dietitian can help you get approved for bariatric surgery and be successful after surgery.
- Most insurance plans require 1-6 visits with a Registered Dietitian in order to be approved for bariatric surgery.
- These are usually scheduled once per month.
- Visits will focus on improving your nutrition status, ensuring adequate protein intake, building good habits, establishing an exercise routine, learning about supplements and getting ready for surgery. Education will provided on the pre-op and post-op diet.
HAVE YOU ALREADY HAD A WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
- Visits are not required after surgery, but are available and recommended.
- After surgery, visits focus on addressing any nutrition related symptoms that you may experience (diarrhea, constipation, hair loss, vitamin deficiencies) as well as long-term compliance and progress towards your goals.
- Body Composition Testing may be performed.
- Information can be provided on micro-nutrient testing and other follow-up care.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Southern Maryland Dietitian provides very individualized recommendations to help you meet your goals.
- There are also some standard practices that are usually required before and after surgery.
- Specialized Lab Testing is needed yearly to monitor and prevent nutrition deficiencies.
- Protein supplements are very important with any weight loss surgery.
- Supplements are a fact of life for anyone who has had (or getting ready to have) a weight loss surgery.
- Prior to surgery, it is important to address vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
- Post surgery, it is nearly impossible to consume and absorb adequate micronutrients, so supplements are necessary.
- Your surgeon may give you specific instructions on supplements. If so, I definitely defer to those directions.
- If you need help with supplements, please let me know.
- Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate Vitamins are my "go to" for most bariatric supplements.